Global Market Updates

Airport Operators & Concessions • Global Market Update • August 2018

Sri Lanka – Jul 30/18 – Sri Lanka Seeks Investment Partner to Salvage Mattala Airport Boondoggle

The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is said to be in negotiations with the Sri Lankan gov’t to acquire a 70% stake in Mattala Airport at an estimated value of USD325m, however AAI has downplayed such reports. Whatever the case, having handled an average of only seven passengers/day in 2017, the gov’t is clearly keen to salvage its embarrassing boondoggle investment.

St. Lucia – Jul 26/18 – St. Lucia’s New Gov’t Scraps Airport PPP Plans in Favour of Self-Financed Expansion

Electing to scrap its predecessor’s PPP plans, St. Lucia’s new gov’t will be self-financing expansion of the Hewanorra Int’l Airport. The construction works, scheduled to commence this fall, will expand airport capacity to 1.5m passengers/year.

Jamaica – Jul 24/18 – Kingston Airport Concession Garners Three Bids from Pre-qualified Field of Eight

The Development Bank of Jamaica reports that three of eight pre-qualified bid groups have submitted offers for the operation and development of Kingston’s Norman Manley Int’l Airport under a 30-year PPP agreement. The three groups include airport operators Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico (Mexico), Corporacion del Este (Dominican Republic) and Egis (France). Selection and announcement of the preferred bidder is expected by the end of August.

Greece – Jul 23/18 – Extension of Athens Airport Concession Working Against the Clock

Athens Int’l Airport (AIA) and state-run fund TAIPED are working against the clock to finalize the 20-year AIA concession extension, in preparation for a fresh round of negotiations this fall. The extension agreement must comply with European Commission competition rules and reviews, which have significantly delayed the process to date.

Greece – Jul 20/18 – Crete’s New Kasteli Greenfield Project One Step Closer to Reality

The new greenfield airport at Kasteli, Crete is one step closer to reality, having cleared a critical EC review. The project will now be referred to the Court of Auditors and then the Greek Parliament for final ratification. Ariadne Airport Group, a consortium of GEK-TERNA and GMR Airports (facilitated by Modalis) will hold a 54% stake, with the remaining 46% retained by the Greek State.

Belgium – Jul 17/18 – Brussels Airport Shareholders Settle Dispute, Clearing Way for Sale of Minority Stake

A pending dispute between fellow Brussels Airport investors Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP) and Macquarie has recently been settled clearing the way for sale of Macquarie’s 36% minority stake in the venture. OTPP has reportedly waived its pre-emption rights and agreed to contents of the info memo for circulation to potential buyers.

Ecuador – Jul 12/18 – Corporación América Subsidiary Secures Extension to Guayaquil Airport Concession

Corporación América’s subsidiary, Terminal Aeroportuaria de Guayaquil (TAGSA) has secured a 5-year extension of its Guayaquil Airport concession from Autoridad Aeroportuaria de Guayaquil and the Municipality of Guayaquil, which will now expire in 2029. In exchange, TAGSA will invest an additional USD32.2m into the airport to facilitate anticipated growth in passenger traffic.

Ukraine – Jul 10/18 – Ukrainian Government Sets Sights on Boryspil, Other Ukrainian Airports for Privatization   

The Ukrainian gov’t is said to be considering privatization of some of the country’s airports, including its primary international gateway, Kiev Boryspil, according to the National Investment Council. With the shadow of the Russian invasion of Crimea still looming large, foreign investors remain skittish, however local investors in Kiev Zhuliany airport have proven that privatization of Ukrainian airports is not only possible, but profitable as well.

Romania – Jul 03/18 – Romanian Gov’t Launches Ambitious PPP Strategy Including New Airport Planned for Bucharest  

The Romanian government recently announced its plans to launch a total of 13 PPP projects, including development of a greenfield airport with a design capacity of 30 million passengers. The new airport, to be sited south of Bucharest, covering roughly 600ha, aims to capture transit traffic between Europe, Asia-Pacific and the Americas.

Japan – Jul 01/18 – Broad Multi-national Consortium Awarded Concession Rights to Operate Fukuoka Airport

The Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has awarded the rights to operate and develop Japan’s Fukuoka Airport to a multi-national consortium which includes Mitsubishi and Changi Airports, as well as Nishi-Nippon Railroad. The ‘basic agreement’ was signed with MLIT on June 26, 2018 and concession commencement is set for April 1, 2019.