Global Market Updates

Airport Operators & Concessions • Global Market Update • September 2017

Vietnam – Aug 25/17 – Chinese & Hong Kong Firms Eye Long Thanh Project

A group of Chinese and Hong Kong based firms are actively seeking Vietnam Ministry of Transport approval to invest in four large-scale infrastructure projects in the country totaling roughly USD50 billion, including Long Thanh International Airport. The Ministry places the total cost of the airport project at roughly USD16 billion.

Palau – Aug 23/17 – Sojitz & JAT Partner on Palau Airport Concession

The South Pacific island nation of Palau has reached a deal with Japanese trading house Sojitz and Japan Airport Terminal (JAT), operator of Tokyo’s Haneda Airport under a 20-year PPP structure for development and operation of the country’s main airport. The state will hold a 49% share and the Sojitz/JAT 50-50 joint venture will assume the remaining 51% stake.

United States – Aug 12/17 – Westchester Attracts Strong Bidder Interest

In response to its RFP launched in April, Westchester County has attracted three bid groups including; Ferrostar (Ferrovial and Star America Fund), MIC Airports (Macquarie) and HPN Aviation Group (Oaktree and Connor Capital), which submitted an unsolicited USD$111m bid last fall for the rights to develop HPN under a 40-year concession.

France – Aug 10/17 – French State Ponders Liquidation of AdP Shares

The French government recently announced plans to sell €10b worth of stakes in state-owned companies, including AdP, to raise capital for financing investments in innovation, a key election promise of President Emmanuel Macron. The French state currently holds 50.63% in AdP, which operates the two Paris-area airports of Charles de Gaulle and Orly.

Brazil – Aug 09/17 – Viracopos Investors Decide to Throw in the Towel

The Viracopos Airport (VCP) concessionaire has decided to throw in the towel and hand the airport back to the government, citing sluggish traffic growth in the wake of Brazil’s protracted political crisis and economic downturn. ABV S.A., which was awarded the VCP concession in 2012, has invested USD$954m in new terminal development to date, however traffic is 52% below their bid model forecasts. The airport handled 9.3m passengers in 2016, in stark contrast to ABV’s 17.9m projections.

Russia – Aug 07/17 – Russia’s Remote Yamal Airport Seeks Private Investors

The Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District has announced plans to seek bids for concession and modernization of the airport located in Russia’s remote Arctic. Private sector investors will be invited to bid for the right to operate the airport and develop a new terminal, complete with passenger boarding bridges, and upgrade the runway.

Thailand – Aug 06/17 – Thailand Launches U-Tapao PPP Feasibility Study

Thai government efforts to expedite the county’s public-private partnership investment program, announced earlier in the year, are taking an important step forward with launch of feasibility studies for expansion of the U-Tapao Rayong Pattaya International Airport, including viability assessment for a second passenger terminal and a second runway on the site.

Peru – Aug 05/17 – Lima Airport Partners Come to Terms for Expansion

Lima Airport Partners (LAP) has reached an agreement with the Peruvian government to amend the 2001 Lima Airport concession agreement, to facilitate the next phase of Lima’s airport development. Land issues were hampering expansion plans for the past several years. LAP’s capital program will see US$1.5b investment in new terminal and runway facilities.

Japan – Aug 03/17 – VINCI-ORIX Declared Preferred Bidder for Kobe

VINCI Airports and its’ Kansai Airports joint venture partner ORIX have been named as the preferred bidder for a 42-year concession of Kobe Airport, with transfer slated for April 2018. The deal, if consummated, will put the VINCI-ORIX group in control of the region’s three major airports; Kansai, Itami and Kobe.

Canada – Aug 01/17 – Bouygues-led Team Nears Completion of Iqaluit Terminal

Construction of the new Iqaluit airport terminal in northern Canada is nearing completion. The innovative PFI-structured project has been undertaken by a private consortium including Bouygues-Canada and Winnipeg Airports Authority.